December 19, 2008

My Family

No one in my family smokes. Nobody. But just about everyone used to. At some point or another. My grandmother said to me once, "Ah yes, you're at such an interesting age! When I was your age my university friends and I would sit in cafes smoking cigarettes and talking about politics!" So, my grandmother used to smoke. Interesting.

Look at an old family album, a wedding in the 80s maybe, and everyone has a cigarette in their hand at some point or another.

But despite all that, despite the fact that just about everyone in my family was smoking at my age, I find it impossible or nearly impossible to tell any of them that I did. Or that I'm quitting. Part of me thinks that it's none of their business. Part of me is terrified of their reaction. But part of me also wants the recognition for doing something really really hard.

If it comes up in conversation, I'll spill the beans. But if it doesn't? I don't know...it almost seems easier to NOT tell them. Does that make sense?

5 comments:

Seth Mulvey said...

Makes perfect sense.

Anonymous said...

come now, sarah. you and your mom have been smoking partners for years now. you forgot to mention that the two people that raised you smoked your whole life! it's scary to admit you've quit smoking because you're worried that you might not succeed. it's normal - one day at a time. maybe your new found freedom will inspire your mom to quit too. i, for one, and so proud of you. quitting smoking is like losing a friend, really. a delicious, deadly friend.

thhande said...

As I, too, am a member of this dissolute extended family of hedonists, I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you that I, your tall and straight-laced cousin, also smoked, to varying degrees from about 1967 until about 1974 (give or take a year). Mostly Pall Mall unfiltered followed later by (I can hardly believe this now) Kool filtered. Toward the end I was a pack-a-day (or a bit more) smoker. Cigarettes were, of course, a lot cheaper then. I can remember (when I was in the Navy circa 1970) being able to get them in the Ships Store when we were at sea for $0.25 a pack. I quit in about '74, and though I can't remember all the reasons, health concern was certainly one of them. It was not easy and you too will find (are finding) it difficult, but take it from me, if (when) you succeed, you'll NEVER regret it. There are a million positive benefits, from the hygenic (you'll smell better and you'll not get sick so easily) to the psychological (success in beating the monkey gives you a big boost in self confidence) to the financial (need I say more about THAT?). Hang in there, cuz. You can do it.

Quitter said...

Garlic - fine, no one in my family smokes EXCEPT my parents. And have you met my mother? Come on now. Thank you for the support. <3

Newatthis - Thank you for the pep talk! I'm glad SOMEONE in this crazy family understands :)

Sarah said...

cousin you can do it! i don't have any wonderful advice, but you have my total support, and living with an ex-smoker, i know how hard it can be.

secondly, can i just say: hahahahaha my dad smoked kools!!!! hilarious.

and finally: my word verification for this comment: bumbower. possible definition: one who salutes derrieres, that is, one who bows for bums. hahahaha!