January 14, 2009

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes


When I started smoking I was fourteen and thought Smurf t-shirts and absurdly wide-legged jeans were the height of fashion. I had pink bangs and an eyebrow ring. It was 1998 and a pack of cigarettes cost $2.50 and would last me about a week.

As of last month I was twenty-four years old. I no longer thought that wide-leg jeans were a good idea, though I would probably wear a Smurf shirt if it happened to be lying around. My hair was attempting to be its natural color, and all that remained of my eyebrow ring was a small scar above my left eye. It was 2008 and a pack of cigarettes cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $9.00 and would last me about a day.

You would think that I would be swimming in cash right now. I'm saving about $300 a month! How could I not be swimming in cash?

Search me. I've been trying to figure it out myself.

UPDATE: Hi, everyone. I'm an idiot. That $300? WENT TO CHRISTMAS PRESENTS.

Duh. Carry on....

I've been craving cigarettes more and more recently. Work has been stressful and annoying and exhausting, and just having an excuse to go outside would be amazing. "Hellooo? Addict coming through! Give me my fifteen minute break or give me death!" However, I am pleased to be quitting in light of the upcoming weather which boasts sunshine and highs hovering around the twenty degree mark.

No Thank you.

I'm still unable to find the PSA I mentioned in this post. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please pass it along.

3 comments:

Seth Mulvey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miss Blue said...

I was reading your other blog where you say you are a cryer, take an hour and watch some anti-smoking commercials. Specifically the hispanic guy with the voice box who used to love swimming. That commercial makes me ball.

The other commericial where the squeeze the gook out of an artery makes me not want to touch a cigarette or a Big Mac ever again.

And talk about flashback to the past! I almost cannot believe that was ten years ago. Back then I never could imagine having pants that weren't overly baggy or widelegs. And a normal hair color? Forget about it!

I still have all my pants, one day I will wear a pair and sit on St. Marks for laughs.

Seth Mulvey said...

Don't quit, the princess one! I've written you a poem! If you start smoking again I will write you many, many poems.

Sometimes
your amazing
incredible beauty
is too much
overwhelming
nourishing
spelling
my soul
and I
just think that
teh beauty in flowers
exists
to remind me of you.